Achieve the Incredible in 2012
Leadership is not a job or a role that you play, but a lifestyle – an expression of who you are. When you plant words of life, you reap rapport and relationship. Rapport and relationship positions you for influence and influence can position you for almost anything.
However influence and leadership are not cheap. There is a price to pay. A price of accountability and of responsibility to those you lead, to those over whom you have influence. Good leadership doesn’t make decisions based on today or even just tomorrow.
Seeds of greatness lie within each individual. For many, those seeds will remain just that, seeds of unrealized potential and possibility. From others greatness will emerge. Lives will be changed and the world impacted as their choices ripple outward.
What makes the difference between those who become great and those who don’t?
- They have a vision for something that is bigger than just them and extends beyond just today. It is a dream fueled by passion and connected to action.
- They deal with the uncomfortable, awkward and negative issues, situations and relationship challenges that arise. They know that simply waiting for “it” to go away could leave them waiting for the rest of their life and time is precious.
- They understand the power of consequence and so do not make decisions solely on the comfort and convenience of today.
- They take action…EVERY DAY! They have accepted responsibility for the realization of their vision and move toward it step by step, day by day. They don’t despise the small steps, but are thankful for even small increments of progress.
- They have not only defined what they like, BUT ALSO what they don’t like. They don’t focus on the “NO’s”. However by clearly defining what “NO” looks like, they are able to recognize what carries negative influences much sooner.
- They operate with grace. Because they choose to forgive, they are free to move forward and are not tied to the past.
- They know their own strengths and weaknesses and are not threatened by others whose strengths and weaknesses are different from their own. They appreciate the power and synergy that comes when working with others.
- They know what it is to be a part of a team. They know that a commitment to vision and to the team will carry them through the conflict and discomfort that is a normal part of developing a superior team.
- They are not afraid of change and they are not trying to make everyone happy. As they move forward there will be others who are not supportive and who do not agree with the choices and decisions that they make. They understand that old adage, “You can’t please everyone all the time.”
Being a leader and carrying influence is about being a steward over the potential of your team, of your organization…of your company. It is about empowering them to step up and be leaders over their own spheres of influence. It is about speaking to the possibilities that exist and moving towards those possibilities day by day.
Through BarCamp Sarasota we are extending a challenge to community members to say, “This is the year I will make “IT” happen. This year I will implement the the plans that I have put together. Yes the last couple years may have presented challenges, but I have looked at those challenges and examined how and why I might need to change and am prepared to move forward. This is the year – 2012 – where I will Achieve the Incredible.”